I'm having trouble drawing blood from my finger. What should I do?
Do not worry if you are having trouble. Read on below for suggestions that might make your blood drawing experience more successful. If you need additional testing materials, simply email [email protected] and we'll ship you replacement materials at no extra cost to you.
Blood Collection Tips:
- Drink plenty of water in the hours prior to your specimen collection.
- The best site for a finger puncture is just off the center of the finger pad of the 3rd (middle) or 4th (ring) finger of the hand. The sides and the tip of the finger should be avoided.
- Make sure hands (fingers) are warm. Run under warm water for 30 seconds if necessary to increase circulation.
- Make sure you place your finger on a firm surface, like a countertop or kitchen counter, to ensure that you get the proper depth when activating the safety lancet.
- After lancing collection area, use "milking" motion to draw blood towards puncture area.
- Make sure you get 5 good drops off blood into the blood collection device.