I'm having trouble drawing blood from my finger. What should I do?
Read below for suggestions that might make your blood drawing experience more successful.
Blood Collection Tips:
- Drink plenty of water in the hours prior to your specimen collection.
- The best site for a finger puncture is just off the right or left side of the finger pad of the ring or pinkie finger. The tip of the finger should be avoided.
- Make sure hands (fingers) are warm. Hold under running warm water for 30 seconds if necessary to increase circulation.
- Make sure you place your finger on a firm surface, like a countertop or kitchen counter, to ensure that you get the proper depth when activating the safety lancet.
- After lancing collection area, use "milking" motion to draw blood towards puncture area.
- Make sure you get 5 good drops of blood into the blood collection device.