I'm having trouble drawing blood from my finger. What should I do?
Please follow these additional collection tips to ensure that your sample will be sufficient for processing:
- Drink plenty of water in the hours prior to your specimen collection. Proper hydration helps facilitate blood flow while collecting.
- The best site for a finger puncture is just off the center of the finger pad. The tip of the finger should be avoided.
- Make sure hands (fingers) are warm. Run under warm water for 30 seconds if necessary to increase circulation.
- Make sure to place your finger on a firm surface, like a countertop or kitchen counter, to ensure that you get the proper depth when activating the safety lancet.
- After lancing collection area, squeeze your finger in a milking motion, moving from the base of your finger toward the your fingertip to draw blood towards puncture site.
- If your blood collection card has outlined circles, each drop should fill at least 75% of the collection circle area. See example images:
If your test uses the ADx100 card (with a square area for blood drops), the blood must soak through to the indicated line. Only add blood to the square area. Do not apply blood to the right-hand side of the card. See example image: