How to collect my blood spot sample (with video)
Collecting a blood sample for your Everlywell test kit is simple. Blood collection instructions vary by test, so please make sure to follow the appropriate instructions for any tests you are taking that require blood spot samples.
Step 1: Select your ring or pinkie ﬁngertip and clean the desired puncture site using the alcohol prep pad. The best site for a finger puncture is just off the center of the finger pad.
Step 2: Fold collection card open on a ﬂat surface. Remove and discard the plastic safety end on the lancet by twisting and pulling it (lancet color may vary depending on the test).
Step 3: Please note that the lancet will only activate and puncture once. Place your ﬁnger against a ﬁrm surface. To activate the lancet, press down until an audible click is heard.
Step 4: Squeeze your finger, moving from the base of your finger toward the fingertip to draw blood towards the puncture site. Allow a single, large blood drop to fall in each circle. Ensure all circles on the collection card are ﬁlled. Complete the entire collection process on the same day. Leave the card out for 30 minutes or until completely dry. Apply a bandaid to your ﬁnger when ﬁnished. Write your name and the collection date on the card. If you do not include this information on your sample, it may be rejected by the lab.
Properly Collected Specimen:
- Drink plenty of water prior to collecting your sample to ensure that you're hydrated.
- Ensure that your hands are warm by thoroughly rinsing your hands in warm water or showering. If you have calluses on your fingers, we suggest soaking your hands in warm water to soften the skin before collection.
- Promote adequate blood flood by swinging your arms by your side or by exercising beforehand.
- Many find it helpful to have someone assist them in the collection process.
- Once your finger is punctured, wipe away the first drop of blood.
- If you find that a drop is not forming, it's helpful to promote blood flow by massaging from your wrist down to your fingertip.
- The additional lancets can be used if needed but it's recommended to choose a different finger.
What not to do:
- Do not rub or smear (allow full drops to form and gently fall onto the paper).
- Do not allow multiple drops in the same circle (no overlapping).
- Do not use heat to assist drying.
- Please Note - Under no circumstances should you use materials other than the lancets included in your test kit. If you require additional lancets or assistance with your collection, please contact our Customer Care Team.
Put your sample inside the biohazard bag and place it back into the box. You may leave the silica gel packet in the biohazard bag. Finally, send the box back in the return envelope using the shipping label provided (located at the bottom of the box). Send back your sample using the shipping carrier listed on your return label.